This weeks menu is healthy and easy. I will try to keep posting weekly menu’s as I have time, but it is back to work and, in addition, finishing my masters. I have the main courses listed on the board but you will find some of the side dishes below as well. I hope you enjoyed the Scottish phrase last week. I have included another for this week as well. I can hear my mothers voice every time I read it. The answer to last weeks mystery was “NOTHING”. Hope you have a happy week ahead and if you have not become an official follower of my blog, please be sure to do so!
Tropical Chicken and Mango Rice
For the spice blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
For the rice
- 1½ cups rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- Chicken broth to make up the volume of liquid to about 3 cups total
- salt to taste
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced (about a cup of fruit)
- zest of a large lime (use the juice from the lime to make the pan sauce)
- chopped cilantro for garnish
For the chicken
- 2 boneless skinless breast halves (about a pound), trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- juice of a large lime
- Mix up the spice blend first and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- Add the rice and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Add the cooking liquid (the coconut milk and water) when the rice begins to change color.
- Allow it to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the mango, lime zest and about ½ teaspoon of spice mix.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- Stir well and cover the pot with the lid.
- Cook for about 15 – 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Season on both sides with the spice mix.
- After the rice has been cooking for 10 minutes, heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook for a couple minutes on both sides. It won’t take long to cook through because the pieces are thin.
- Remove the chicken to a plate while you make the pan sauce.
- Add the lime juice and chicken broth to the skillet. Use a whisk to mix up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer gently and allow to thicken slightly. Add more butter if you want the sauce to be richer.
- Keep an eye on the rice and remove from the heat if needed.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pan.
- Turn the chicken in the pan sauce to coat well.
- Before serving, stir in a generous handful of chopped cilantro to the rice.
BLACK BEAN TURKEY BURGERS
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (or chicken stove top stuffing mix)
- 3 tablespoons onion powder or 1/2 an onion chopped and sauted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Form into 7 large patties.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a wee bit of EVOO. Add burgers and cook 7 minutes on one side. Press burgers down to flatten.
- Flip, and cook additional 7-9 minutes until cooked through.
- OR – you can grill them! I tried this on my George Foreman and it worked well! (cook for 5 min.)
Shrimp Summer Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE1
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce2
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, mashed (or about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or a chile garlic sauce, optional for spice
- 1-2 Tablespoons warm water, or more as needed
- 10 spring roll rice paper wrappers
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 large cucumber, julienned (you can peel, but I don’t)
- 1/2 of a large red pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 ounce cooked rice noodles/rice vermicelli (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- handful fresh cilantro (and/or mint, basil)
- 5 large green lettuce leaves (romaine or butter), torn in half
- 20 medium cooked shrimp, peeled and sliced in half length-wise
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Make sure every ingredient in the summer rolls is prepared/chopped/cooked before you assembling.
- Prepare the dipping sauce:You can whisk everything together in a bowl or use a food processor. Add everything to a medium bowl (except water and optional garnish) and whisk until smooth. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of warm water or until you reach desired thinness. Pour into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the rice paper wrappers:Pour warm water into a large bowl or 9-inch square or round baking pan. Working with one at a time, dip the rice paper wrapper into the warm water for 15-20 seconds (or whatever the package suggests) You want the wrapper to be soft, yet still slightly firm and pliable. Remove from the water and place flat onto a work surface such as a large plastic or ceramic cutting board. Pat the wrapper slightly dry.
- Fill the rolls:Place a few sticks of carrot, cucumber, red pepper, and a sprinkle of cabbage on top of the bottom 1/3 of the rice paper. Then, a small amount of noodles (if using), a slice or two of avocado and a bit of cilantro. Lay 1/2 of a lettuce leaf on top and 4 slices of shrimp on top– as pictured above. Remember, do not overstuff the roll. Start small then add more, as needed, as you roll each one.
- Roll them:Roll everything up tightly. To do so, gently pull up the bottom of the roll and roll over the filling. Then, roll and use your hands to tuck the filling in as you go. It’s basically like you’re rolling a burrito!.
- After rolling each, place on a serving plate. Cut in half, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve with peanut sauce.
Spanish Frittata with Leeks, Potato, and Bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 leeks (about 1 pound), white and pale-green parts only, rinsed well and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- four to six slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt
- 8 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with oil. Bring water to a simmer in a medium skillet over high heat. Add leeks, garlic, and potatoes; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, whites, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne. Fold in potato mixture, bacon and ricotta. Mix in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture into dish, and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake until edges are set, about 12 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, and bake until set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 squares.
Served with bread and a salad:
1 bag mixed greens (10 ounces)
1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion (optional)
1 Bosc pear, cored and sliced (substitute 1 green apple for the pear)
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnut
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup walnut oil
Place the salad greens in a large bowl. Add the red onion, pear, and walnuts, toss to mix evenly.
To make the dressing, place the maple syrup, vinegar, mayonnaise, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a blender, and blend thoroughly. With the motor running, slowly pour in the walnut oil. Blend until mixture becomes creamy, about 1 minute. Pour over salad mixture, and toss to coat greens evenly.
Spinach and Orange Salad
1/2 package fresh spinach rinsed and dried
1/2 small red onion sliced thinly in rings and cut in half
2 oranges peeled pith remove and segmented
Newmans Own Olive oil and Vinegrette Dressing – easy and yummy
CROCK POT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN WITH ROASTED VEGGIES AND Israeli couscous
For the crock pot rotisserie chicken, I take one frozen whole chicken (innards removed), place it in the pot and cover it with a bit of evoo and McCormick’s Rotisserie Chicken seasoning. Cook on low all day and come home to a wonderful dinner.Throw in some veggies if you like or roast them up in the oven.