In honor of the first day of Spring AND International Macaroon (Macaron) day, I bring you an easy to follow recipe. My husband and had a chance to stop by one of my favorite shops in Paris this past summer. I highly recommend making a stop at Laduree if you are in Paris. Best Macaron’s EVER! Here is a link to an article about them (http://girlsguidetoparis.com/laduree-macaron-paris-france/ ) Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1 3/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Strained jam or other desired fillings
- Whisk together almond meal and confectioner’s sugar and sift over a large bowl. YES, you must sift.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. SLOWLY add granulated sugar and almond extract, beat until medium shiny peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold egg whites into almond mixture until combined. Mix with spatula until the mixture sinks easily into a smooth mass and has the consistency of honey. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag, cut off 1/2 inch off tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds about 1 inch apart on parchment-lined sheets.
- Let dry 30 minutes to an hour and a half until tops are firm and dry. Preheat oven to 350. Bake one sheet at a time for about 14 minutes, rotating once. Let cool completely on wire racks before filling and sandwiching cookies together.
For filling, use your imagination! I have used jam, ganache, frosting, nutella, Bavarian cream, Trader Joe’s various yummy butters, and more. Have fun!